Input Devices for a 3D World
DLR / Magellan Product Line
Historical Events• 1981 German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR) begin developing the DLR Spaceball
• 1988 DLR technology is used in the Dimension 6 built by CiS, and is named 'Product of the Year'.
• 1991 DLR begins designing a 6DOF controller for NASA's robotic Space Shuttle arm. (The DLR Spacemouse)
• 1992 Space Control GmbH, licensed the technology from DLR
• 1992 Changed its name to Logicad GmbH
• 1993 Logicad GmbH co-marketed Magellan with Logitech. This also established the 'Magellan Protocol' for communication with the devices.
• 1998 Changed its name to Logicad3D Inc. with Logitech owning a 49% share
• 2001 Fully absorbed by Logitech (merge)
• 2002+ 3DConmnexion continued using Magellan protocol in the serial models of Cadman, Spaceball 5000, and SpaceExplorer.